by Lillian Csernica on August 18, 2014
I am delighted to share with you the latest milestone in my writing career.
As of 2:17 a.m. this morning, I have completed this edit of my current novel!
What does this mean?
I made several improvements in the story.
I expanded the role of one character and reduced the role of another.
I fixed the errors in my Japanese words and phrases.
I cut one hundred and fifty-two pages from the manuscript.
The time has not yet come to send the book to my agent. I have another sixty-six pages to cut. That will be easier now that the plot has come into clearer focus. I need to double check a few fine points of Tokugawa period clothing. I also want to verify my fictional locations on a map of Satsuma (now Kagoshima) so my travel times and overall timetable are still correct given some of the changes in the story.
Even so, I did it! I got all the way through the edit! I had hoped to be done by the end of July. I am eighteen days past that deadline, which all things considered isn’t that bad. Now for the fun part. While I finish the clean up work on this manuscript, I’d better get to work on the second book of the trilogy! Fortune favors the prepared mind. I want to be ready just in case Lady Luck offers me a three book contract!